Monday, October 22, 2007

A New Perspective

After a self imposed hiatus, I am back - this time from Washington, DC. In August, I moved to Annapolis, Maryland, just an hour outside of the Capital (and thankfully, outside of the Beltway too).

From November, I'll be working in DC as a staff reporter for a Japanese newspaper. I look forward to following the presidential elections, US-Japan relations, and other topics of interest. It should be a great deal of fun, and offers a very different perspective from the last year in Tokyo. It will be fascinating to see and analyze events from this side of the Pacific.


As for life here in the State Capital - it has been magnificent since my arrival at the beginning of August - Crab Cakes, sail boats, and cooler temperatures are all to be appreciated. No, I don't see too many Midshipmen from the Academy. The superintendent has cracked down on sports and off-campus activity, requiring these federally funded students to study. "We're at war."

You'd never know it walking down "Ego Alley" near city dock, where you regularly see very expensive yachts tied to the dock from around the east coast. Weekenders from DC and Baltimore keep the restaurants busy, and all-in-all, it is a world away from reality. I nice place to come home at night to rest.

Annapolis, Maryland