Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Shark attack

Reuters had a report today that caught my attention - but it was a comment buried in the article that made me raise my eyebrows:

NASSIRIYA, Iraq (Reuters) - A two-meter shark has been caught in a river in southern Iraq more than 200 km (160 miles) from the sea.

....

Locals blamed the U.S. military for the shark's presence.

Tahseen Ali, a teacher, said there was a "75 percent chance" Americans had put the shark in the water.

"This is very frightening for us. Our children always swim in the river and I believe that there are more sharks. I believe that America is behind this matter," said fisherman Hatim Karim.

That's right - the locals blame the US for a shark that swam up the Euphrates.

So much for winning their hearts and minds.

No comments: